This is a question that seems to come up frequently within the Hip-Hop community: Who’s better, J.Cole or Drake? Well I’m bringing my Hip-Hop expertise to break both artists down for you.
J.Cole: J.Cole presents himself as the underdog in a way, he’s a true rapper and it’s very obvious in the way that he flows, almost flawlessly. Cole can tell a story (see his song “Dreams”) and his bars are up to par with rap’s best (see his song “Grown Simba”). J.Cole is also a steady punchline rapper, his flow and delivery alone make his songs “head bobbing” material. His live performances are amazing as well, being able to get the New York crowd behind him. He’s a tried and true rapper, even with only 2 mixtapes and a couple of pre-album tracks J.Cole is widely regarded in the underground as one of current Hip-Hop’s finest rhymers.
Drake: Drake appeals to the female audience more-so than anyone else, that 16-23 age group. Drake’s R&B is commonly regarded as his best talent. Hip-Hop heads (even those that like Drake) are aware that he isn’t a true rapper, and it is apparent in his lack of flow. Drake is very good at painting a picture in his R&B and raps and can make it seem as if he’s speaking directly to YOU. Drake’s best asset, rapping wise, is his delivery and charisma which often times cover his stagnant flow and corny punchlines, however, this is not always the case. Another knock on Drake is that he doesn’t “freestyle”, when asked to freestyle on radio he simply pulls out his Blackberry and raps a written verse that’s on one of his upcoming song (he did this on his Tim Westwood freestyle and at a live performance, rapping the verse to his song “9AM in Dallas”). Also, as well as his live performances, where he tends to look directly at the ground while he’s rapping.
- Live Performances
- Overall rapping ability
- Emotion in rhymes (ex: his live performance of “Who Dat” is way more intense than the CDQ)
- Ability to song-write R&B/Rap hooks
- Weak metaphors (“I’m a star, no spangled banner”, “Got these new rappers nervous, prom night nigga”)
- Flow (He takes the same approach in nearly every song, his flow, or cadence, rarely changes)
- Repetitive (His subject matter when he’s rapping stays in or around the same category)
- Live Performances
All in all, J.Cole is clearly the superior rapper but his discography isn’t the size of Drake’s yet. Drake’s rapping isn’t anything new or special, it seems when he raps with other rappers (Nipsey Hu$$le, Jeezy) he starts to actually diss women/contradict himself,
”Do I love these HOS?” (Lose My Mind Remix)
“I’ll never be the reason that a BITCH got paid” (Killas w/ Nipsey Hu$$le)
Yet when he goes on his R&B shtick, he’s back on his flirtatious kissing up to women; there is a negative clashing effect in his music.
I feel that Drake has more presence on a track than J.Cole does and can make more and better personal tracks, but J.Cole is better than Drake in every lyrical aspect there is. J.Cole is easily the better rapper while Drake will appeal more mainstream.
Some Hip-Hop experts have said that Drake is the Jay-Z of this generation while J.Cole is his Nas. I agree, in a way, not necessarily comparing these two rappers to those legends but in a way that Drake will sell more albums and will be more successful mainstream (as Jay-Z was in the ‘00 era) while J.Cole will have, arguably, better albums and is far and away better lyrically (as many people felt about Nas).
Ending statement: J.Cole is superior to Drake in music.
I don’t mind helping people. I enjoy bringing joy to someones life if only for a second. I just hate that when I help and continue to help people out by doing a little here and giving a little there they seem not to know how to return the favor when I am in need. Don’t get me wrong I don’t give to receive something back, no, I enjoy giving things from the heart, I just don’t understand how people can take hand out after hand out and when the person that normally gives help, needs help all of a sudden no one is there. I am just tired of it. I AM NOT A SIDEWALK and I WILL NOT be walked on and taken advantage of.
Anybody under the age of 17 should not read this,…and if you do, you should not repost this. Just because you were born in ‘97 doesn’t mean you’re a 90’s kid.It’s not like you could remember the original Simpsons. I am sorry but three conscious years of the 90’s just wont cut it.
You’re a 90’s kid if:
- You remember watching Doug, Ren & Stimpy, Pinky and the Brain, and Two Stupid Dogs.
- AAAAAAAH real monsters.
- You’ve ever ended a sentence with the word “SIKE!”
- You just cant resist finishing this… “Iiiiiiin west philladelphia born and raised…”
- You remember TGIF on ABC. Step by Step, Family Matters, Dinosaurs, and Boy Meets World. And don’t forget Full House!
- You remember when, 2Pac and Selena died.
- You remember when it was actually worth getting up early
- on a Saturday to watch cartoons.
- You got super excited when it was Oregon Trail day in computer class at school.
- You remember reading “Goosebumps.”
- You took plastic cartoon lunch boxes to school.
- You remember the craze, then the banning of slap bracelets and slam books.
- You still get the urge to say “NOT” after (almost) every sentence…Not…
- You used to listen to the radio all day long just to record “Your FAVORITE song of ALL time.”
- Where in the world is Carmen San Diego?
- Captain Planet. He’s a Hero.
- You remember when super nintendo’s and Sega Genisis became popular.
- You always wanted to send in a tape to America’s Funniest Home Videos… but never taped anything funny.
- You remember watching home alone 1, 2 , and 3……..and tried to pull the pranks on “intruders.”
- You remember watching The Magic School Bus, Wishbone, and Reading Rainbow on PBS.
- When you were grown up when you turned 7, cuz you could watch are you afraid of the dark because it was tvY7!
- You remember those Where’s Waldo books.
- You remember when Mortal Kombat Was “Da Bomb”!
- You remember eating Warheads.(those sour candys.)
- You remember watching the 1st Batman, Aladdin, Ninja Turtles, and 3 Ninjas movies.
- You remember Ring Pops.
- You remember when POGS were the coolest thing ever.
- You remember drinking Fruitopia and Surge.
- If you memeber when every thing was “da BOMB”
- When they made the new lunchables so that you could make tacos and pizza!!
- You remember “boom boxes” vs. cd players
- Writing M.A.S.H. notes. (and the twenty different versions of that.)
- Making those little paper fortune cookie things.. and then predicting your life with them.
- You knew all the characters names and their life stories on “Saved By The Bell”
- You haven’t always had a computer…and u lived without the internet.
- You watched the original cartoons of Rugrats, Power Rangers,and Ninja Turtles.
- You had a favorite New Kid on the block, and you knew all of their names
- Michael Jordan was a king.
- Yikes pencils and erasers were the stuff!
- All your school supplies were “Lisa Frank” brand.(pencils.notebooks.binders.etc.)
- 2 words…Traper Keeper!
- You remember when the new Beanie Babies and talking Elmo were always sold out.
- Growing Pains.
- Carebears and The Gummy Bear show.
- Gak was the coolest thing invented.
- Lambchop’s song never ended.
- The old dollar bills.
- Silver dollars, were cool to have.
- You remember a time before the WB.
- You collected all the Troll dolls.
- You owned a portable tape player.
- If you even know what an original walkman is.
- You remember wanting to sit on the orange Nickelodeon couch.
- You remember when Nickelodeon was worth watching….every day after school*
- You’ve gotten creeped out by “Are You Afraid of the Dark?”
- You know the Macarena by heart.
- “Talk to the hand” … enough said.
- You always said, “Then why don’t you marry it!”
- You know the significance of the number 23.
- You went to McD’s to play in the playplace.
- Everyone had Mullets!
- When we were younger:
- Before the MySpace frenzy…
- Before the Internet & text messaging…
- Before Sidekicks & iPods…
- Before MIKE JONES…
- Before PlayStation2 or X-BOX…
- Before Sponge Bob…
- When light up sneakers were cool.
- When you rented VHS tapes, not DVDs.
- When gas was $0.95 a gallon & Caller ID was a new thing.
- When we recorded stuff on VCRs.
- When we called the radio station to request songs to hear off our walkmans.
- When 2Pac and Biggie where alive.
- When the Chicago Bulls were the best team ever.
- Way back…
- Before we realized all this would eventually disappear
- Who would have thought you’d miss the 90’s so much!!!!!
- Post this in your bulletin if you remember these days ….
- Post with the year you were born in the 90’s
- Women are horny 99.9% most of the time
- Kid Cudi, WIZ KHALIFA ,and KANYE are apparently Gods
- Anonymous people are punks
- Everybody loves Jordans
- Hip-Hop is still alive
- Women can have looks and be intellectual too
- Someone’s post is guaranteed to make me laugh
- We all miss the 90’s
- Tumblr teases the idea of a long distance relationship
- Everyone can be themselves.
- (via newdeezy)
For some reason tonight I just CAN NOT sleep. I have been irritated all day. People have just been getting on my nerves. The fact that I pay attention to detail doesn’t help because I just pick out every little thing that bugs the hell out of me. Maybe I just need a break or time to myself.
Drake or J. Cole?
Okay, Maybe this is just my opinion but I think the video is not that good. I would have said horrible if I didn’t appreciate the art behind the blowing silk sheets. The video didn’t really go along with the song. What do you guys think?